Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Journey

This year I have decided on taking a journey.  Not to an actual physical destination, but a mental and emotional journey.  Over the last 10 years I have slowly been slipping away from the person I thought I would be.  I have fallen into other roles that are more "functional" if you will.  In these 10 years I have become a wife, a mother, and am staying at home raising my kids full time.  Would I trade any of these roles in? Never!  I just wish there was more ME in the MothEr role.  So I started this journey on January 1st.  My goals for the year were pretty simple, get healthy and be more active in the things I am passionate about.  So far things are looking good!  What about you? Care to share a similar journey you are on? or have completed?

3 comments:

  1. I'm very interested in this idea of not being the person we expected to be. Few of us are, and of course it's absurd (and not particularly desirable) that we should be. I am at the age where I often look around and realize I never imagined myself being this old, let alone what I kind of life I would be leading. Which people and things in my life would I be willing to have passed over in order to get somewhere else?

    But I think you have grasped it at the right end: all we can do it take the first step on the journey - we can't control what we will see or who we will be at the end. it doesn't mean we shouldn't have a destination in mind, but that we can't be too adamant about not stepping off the road or throwing away the map entirely if necessary.

    It's also important to remember that, as Wendy Rule sings, all space is here; all time is now. We think of time and location as linear: we move forward from one moment to another and from one place to another. But that is only our way of perceiving it, just as a blind man perceives a room as a linear progression of objects he touches. In fact the whole room is there at once, just as the past and future all exist in each moment we experience. One of the things that magic can do is free us a bit from that strictly linear perception: we can not only use it to make changes in our future, but in our past as well. Everything is changeable, forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, when I was younger I never expected myself to be an army wife stay at home mom the 4 little girls. I had always planned on having a career, a husband with a 9-5 job, and 3 kids. Life never turns out how we had planned, but its always what we need it to be. I am finally learning to just roll with it, everything is so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally able to see all the posts again!!! I set out this year to purge myself of all the unnecessary clutter in my life! I was also hoping to expand my interests but this de-cluttering process is very time consuming lol! I have lost a lot of friends along the way because I feel they were bringing emotional and negative clutter into my life. I am very far away from where I thought I would be in my life right now and I am coming to terms with that. Some things are better than expected...some things fall very short.

    ReplyDelete